Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restaurants getting expensive
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Rio Dulce Restaurantes, Hotels y Marinas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanny
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Restaurants getting expensive Reply with quote

Anyone else notice how the prices are going up and up, but the food quality stays the same?
Beer for instance: you can buy 24 cans of Brahva at Dispensa for less than 70q (last time it was 68). That's less than 3q each, retail. Restaurants buy it cheaper than that! But Happy Hour prices at restaurants are still 3, 4 or 5 times that amount! And we're suppose to think we're getting a deal?
Food quality is terrible, but prices are pushing $10US/plate. Some places are better, but as long as we continue to pay and not complain, prices will rise and quality will not keep up.
encor
Superb Senora Rio Cronista

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....you always have choices, tanny. Rolling Eyes
Scoop
Floundering Founder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What encor said, Tanny.

I think you can get can Brahva for Q5 at Las Vegas Bar with some free peanuts, salt and a lime. More expensive if a girl joins you at your table and you buy her a drink.

Just sayin .. Wink
elpolvo
web foote

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoop wrote:
What encor said, Tanny.

I think you can get can Brahva for Q5 at Las Vegas Bar with some free peanuts, salt and a lime. More expensive if a girl joins you at your table and you buy her a drink. Just sayin .. Wink

it's the age old story... inflation... and infatuation...

-polvs
Scoop
Floundering Founder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just joking with you tanny.

But the restaurants, even buying through the distributors, often pay the same for beer as you can buy at La Dispensa or even from the street side stores. It's a strange system and even if a restaurant orders 10 cases or more, the price is still the same. Occasionally -- particularly before a big holiday, there will be some special one time discounts if the restaurant orders quite a few cases -- but normally the restaurant pays about the same as you do.

Like you said, happy hour prices vary from place to place depending upon location, amenities, boquitos (snacks), quality of service (well, let's not go there) and so forth.

I've managed two or three (lemme think) restaurants here with varying degrees of success or otherwise (ahem!) and can guarantee that if a restaurant serves you a Brahva at the same price you can buy it at the Dispensa, it won't be making enough income to pay for payroll, rent, electricity for the beer coolers, taxes, etc.

And most restaurants realize more profit from beverage sales than food sales. Not just here but in the rest of the world.

Food quality? That's a very subjective point since what you consider low quality might be very acceptable to someone else. A Q5 beer and a Q25 (or less) lunch special is readily available on the street and some restaurants.

Sometimes, I'm very happy with a Q5 Dorada Ice with a Q15 "gringa" served on the street on a Friday or Saturday night. Somehow, I doubt that
's the food quality you're seeking.

Many restaurants here serve some amazingly delicious menu items at excellent prices. I suggest that you roam around a bit more and discover what's available.

But I'm rather easy to please, not particularly demanding or critical and sort of live with the idea that if you don't have grand expectations, you won't have grand disappointments.

Relax and enjoy the Rio Dulce -- even if your Brahva costs an extra quetzale or two !
Smile
Avian
Feathered Troublemaker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As encor said, you have choices. It can be as simple as not going to any restaurant/bars, to moving to another country that will meet your high standards... say... back to your home country.

And last time I checked, restaurants are not Walmart/Despensia stores. Restaurants do not serve warm cans (or cases) of beer, and their cost per customer is much higher.

Oh, BTW, the cost of Brahva/Victoria/Ice, etc. for most restaurants is higher than Q3, not less.

--Avian wonders why some furiners bother to come here just to become bitch-a-lots.--
#1 Birdbrain on the Rio!
*** Don't take life so seriously we're only stardust ***
Lorelei79
Super Senior Flying Squirrel Butt

Location: Keeping a count of my nuts for the cold season. Oh. Wait. Lady Squirrels don't HAVE nuts!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Namaste!

There will always be grumpazoids, malcontents, and Eeyores. Don't let them spoil your day.

Just keep smiling, even though the person you're talking to is a complete (well - you know what!)
Avian
Feathered Troublemaker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorelei79 wrote:
Namaste!... Just keep smiling...

--Avian hugs Squirrelie Butt, puts on her best beaky smile, then waddles back to her nest for the night--
#1 Birdbrain on the Rio!
*** Don't take life so seriously we're only stardust ***
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of a couple places (Sundog & Kangaroo/Las Mexicanas come to mind), overall the quality of food (and consistency and service) in the restaurants here on the Rio sucks. Certainly so considering the prices demanded.

That's not the observation of a grumpazoid or malcontent. That's a fact. And it's been this way since I arrived here. As a 'foodie' it's my own personal hell I've apparently saddled myself with. As such, I either cook for myself or travel somewhere else that isn't content with serving slop.

I was just sorely reminded of this during a recent trip to Placencia where, despite the conventional wisdom that Belize is expensive, restaurant prices were equitable with the Rio (even at the 'tourist' locations) and the food quality & service was far, far superior.

Anyone thinking otherwise, defending the quality of food offered at virtually all restaurants around this town clearly need to get out & away more. You have lost all sense of comparison. Otherwise, show me ANYONE that has traveled to the Rio for the food.

So Avian, you think I'm just a 'bitch-a-lot', I should go somewhere else or go back to my home country simply because I have the expectation a $10-12 meal served in a restaurant should be more than just (barely) edible?

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)
encor
Superb Senora Rio Cronista

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....fretless wrote :

Quote:
Otherwise, show me ANYONE that has traveled to the Rio for the food.

...i'm looking for the LIKE button. Wink
tanny
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Restaurant prices Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to my question. I appreciate the serious replies, and expected the nasty ones too… but that's the price of admission for posting on social media these days.
Just one last observation -
I wouldn't have any problem paying the equivalent of $10US for a lunch or 5 times the retail cost for a beer here on the Rio if it was in proportion to what restaurant/marina staff were paid.
No-one expect haute cuisine for $10 a plate, but if most of that simply goes into the pocket of the marina or restaurant owners while paying their staff 100q a day, then I say we, and the locals, are getting ripped off…
That's enough from me on the matter … have a great season everyone!
elpolvo
web foote

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(a little known factoid)

collectively, the quality of all the food in guatemala declined by 10 percent,
the day george morgan died.

31 december, 2013

R.I.P. captain morgan

Scoop
Floundering Founder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen.
inshallamiami
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fretless.....you are 100% right! and Tanny thanks sooo much for addressing this. Scoop...what restaurants do you recommend, besides, um, Vegas?
tanny
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great to have a list of good local places to eat in town aside from the usual Gringo places. Can anyone make any recommendations?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Rio Dulce Restaurantes, Hotels y Marinas All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: