Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone confirm this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> THE GROUND TRUTH
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Can anyone confirm this? Reply with quote

Don (s/v 'For Today') just told me that about 3 weeks ago he was heading to the bank in 'downtown' Fronteras when two police stopped him, one putting his pistol to his chest saying "passport... passport".

He threw up his hands and told them 'no problem'. When he handed over his passport one of the policemen asked for his backpack and began searching through it, pulling out his wallet and checking out all the papers, cards, ID, etc. Checking it later Don says his wallet had been emptied of about Q170. He said he was probably lucky he was hit up before he got to the bank otherwise he might have been out Q2000.

That's the first hand info direct from the victim. Now the hearsay. I told Don I hadn't heard any incidents of this happening at all and it would seem if this were going on word would get around. He said he's talked to others and heard someone else just got strong armed by the police under the bridge a day or so ago (Friday? Saturday?) and others have been rousted recently in this manner as well. His question/point was 'Who you gonna report it to?'.

This sounds more like Honduras than the Rio Dulce/Fronteras. Is there anything to this story? Am I living under a rock? Can anyone confirm, elaborate or dispel this disturbing 'news'?

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Last edited by Fretless on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
encor
Superb Senora Rio Cronista

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..this is very disturbing. what time of day? what day of the week? exact location of the incident?
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is what Don told me above. I've heard zip about this until today. Then again I don't hang out much in Fronteras Smile

That's why I'm asking if anyone else knows anything one way or another.

TaniaJane
Super Senior Barstool Reader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have zero information to confirm or deny this story. That said, I regularly spend an hr or two at Costa Libra restaurant, 3-5 time a week on average, (for those unfamiliar with the place it is upstairs and across the street from Banco Industrial) and I have a pretty good view of the street and the going ons. This in addition to other forays into town.

I have never seen the police approach a 'gringo' (actually anyone, other than cars parked in the street) and ask to search anything or ask for passporte. If this happened I tend to believe it is a isolated incident and there might be more to the story than given or even known by Don (ie: looking for a particular gringo offender).
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the original post to someone who is very involved in Rio Dulce security and this was the response:

I heard the same story from Don but did not hear the part with the Gun?? There are a lot of people with uniforms out there that seem cops, actually I have NEVER see real cops even get out of their patrol cars and they seldom patrol the downtown area of Fronteras?? I donīt doubt Don got robbed but I do doubt the culprit was a REAL PNC. At any rate I will pass this on to the appropiate levels to see what if anything they will do about it.
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. To me Don was pretty specific in that they placed the gun 'right against my sternum'. You would think he would have mentioned that to your friend as well.

Anyway, thanks for looking into this 'officially' John. Good to hear the info is being passed to the authorities. If you hear anything back I'd be curious what their take on the matter is (if anything).

Bickie
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard stories from other locations in the country where the bad guys had impersonated the police. Like what was mentioned before, I can't think of the last time that I saw a local police officer outside of their patrol trucks unless they are already in the process of investigating an accident or other situation. Thanks for the other input so far.
dennysbeach
Senior Lake Rat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always going to be dirty cops in a bind that are desperate to rip off some cash.
I find it interesting that this fellow had his wallet in his backpack and the police were able to get their hands on it.
I havenīt carried a wallet for more than 30 years and only carry the papers that I will occupy that day with me in a deep pocket. For example, if I am going to drive my car I carry my cash, my driverīs licence, and my cedula or passport in my front pocket where I know no one can get at it.
I feel that there is no need to carry all your i.d., money, etc. all tucked away in one place where it is easily accessed.
Of course, those guys that still carry their wallet in their back pocket are just asking for trouble.
Put yourself in the shoes of the person that wants to rob you and you will soon see the mistakes that you might be making.
The part about the pistol just doesnīt sound right to me. There must be more to the story if that is the case.
La Costa de Oro
Lago de Izabal
4636-6156 / 5171-7477
denny@dennysbeach.com
JBright
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, and considering the source...........Greg(Gilligan) told me today that Saturday, he was stopped under the bridge, by one known, and one new police officer. His story was similar. Stopped, searched, asked for passport, and when reaching in his wallet for photocopy of his passport, they took the money it contained. They then put him in the car, drove a big loop around town, then let him go.
TaniaJane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Greg(Gilligan) told me today that Saturday, he was stopped under the bridge, by one known, and one new police officer. "

I find this hard to believe that the officer knew him and that he would bring him back to town and not leave him 80 km's from it or that he had money.
JBright
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just passing along his "story"

He claimed to recognize one officer, neither he nor I insinuated that said officer recognized him...

Again, "For what its worth, and considering the source...." lol
Brenda Starr
Cub Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Gilligan is well known by the police, as they probably keep regular tabs on that wily coyote. God knows he doesn't have a brain one!

When I questioned Don (S/V For Today) he gave me an entirely different account of the situation. Claimed that some people blow the truth completely out of context. When I questioned him about a gun he scoffed. I take what he says with a grain of salt.....wish I had a shot of tequila to go with it!
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brenda Starr wrote:

When I questioned Don (S/V For Today) he gave me an entirely different account of the situation. Claimed that some people blow the truth completely out of context.

Obviously spoken by someone who should know.

Brenda Starr wrote:
When I questioned him about a gun he scoffed.

Of course... I just made that part up to make his story more interesting, that backpedaling a$$hole Mad

Considering the source(s) looks like it is mostly just a bunch of BS. Sorry folks... Frankly I feel pretty foolish now for bringing it up.

TaniaJane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fretless wrote:

Considering the source(s) looks like it is mostly just a bunch of BS. Sorry folks... Frankly I feel pretty foolish now for bringing it up.

Was good information if not on the incident than certainly the other.
markfisher
Souper Duphus Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brenda your sure have the right idea about

"Maybe Gilligan is well known by the police, as they probably keep regular tabs on that wily coyote. God knows he doesn't have a brain" and thats for sure.
Poor guy is not really very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> THE GROUND TRUTH All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: