Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sailing in Belize Waters, Not Covered in the Guide Books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Travel to Belize
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encor
Superb Senora Rio Cronista

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Sailing in Belize Waters, Not Covered in the Guide Books Reply with quote

....received from jon on majabe, as he was transiting belize from rio dulce to isla mujeres;

" Got stopped once off the coast of Belize just a couple of miles from Mexico by the Belize Coast guard. First time I have ever been stopped at sea in that area. They started out with all kinds of threats after they found we had guns aboard. I pointed out to them that I had always carried guns at sea for protection. They said That we were in Belize waters and the guns should have been declared. I said How can we resolve this. They said, what can you do for us. I said well I have a couple hundred dollars U.S. Let me see what my crew has. And before they could say anything I hollered at Andy.who was topside. "Andy, You got any Cash on you?" The boat they were on was loaded with six or so more Belizeans and tied along side. Now they were aware that their CO and his side kick were trying to shake us down for money.

Long story short, they also wanted to know why my Documentation address was different from my residence address in the states. I pointed out as I showed them a business card of my son which showed he was an attorney in Admiralty law that all my mail when I am out of the US goes to him, It is my legal address. Now that their original plot was in jeopardy to their fellow mariners and they may have a problem with this gringo whose son is a legal eagle in international maritime law they decided to take a different course.
The Captain took the guns and replaced them personally in my locker. He then apologized for the inconvenience thanked me for my cooperation and said they were only doing their job. He had me sign the form after he asked me to add any comment to the boarding. I wrote, very courteous, professional and efficient boarding and inspection. I did not get a copy. They were on board about an hour and a half. Before that, I was having difficulty staying awake. Now I was good for the rest of the day and night.

By the way, anyone clearing into Isla Mujeres these days, DO NOT TAKE GUNS, THE LAW HAS CHANGED. DON'T TRY TO DECLARE THEM EITHER. HIDE THEM IF YOU HAVE THEM ON BOARD. YOU WILL GO TO JAIL IF YOU DECLARE THEM. Of course you will loose your boat if you hide them and they find them. Damn. Ya gotta love them Mexicans. "
elpolvo
web foote

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks encor-

good info.

i always love hearing stories of how independent,
creative thinkers deal with authorities and sticky
situations.

jon done purdy good.
sageofsalem
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JON Marine Aviator.

Fat-ass bureaucrat got no chance against aerial gunslinger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Travel to Belize All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: