Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One too many!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Travel to Belize
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennysbeach
Senior Lake Rat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: One too many! Reply with quote

Weather and Currents (Or, How the Heck Did We Get Here?)
by Dennis Gulck of Denny's Beach
One day years ago, some friends of mine set sail in the late afternoon from Punta Gorda, Belize, bound for Livingston, Guatemala. Shortly after leaving a cold front blew up and they became lost and resorted to following the shoreline. When the sun rose, they found themselves in sight of an unknown port...
We all know that cruising in new areas can be confusing, but if my friends had a solid knowledge of the particulars of wind and current for the Bay of Amatique, they might not have had such a surprise at sunrise!
Here is some "local knowledge" for cruising in the Belize area. During fair weather the winds will generally be SE in the morning and swing to the E or NE in the afternoon. So if you're headed north along the coast of Belize, get some easting in the morning that will help you reach your destination in the afternoon without resorting to the "iron jenny".
Winds in the southern half of Belize are generally light and variable while in the north half they are much stronger and steady.
During the months of November through April the dominant feature to watch for is a cold front. Watch for the east breeze to slowly drop off and then come from the south. Next comes a period of calm before the front actually arrives. After the front passes with it's N or NW winds comes another calm. Then a strong W or WNW wind might pipe up. Definitely do not anchor on the south side of a cay expecting cover! Put out two anchors and be sure they're well set.
Next: All you wanted to know about currents. We all know the current flows northward along the outside of the Belize's reefs. Inside the reef is a counter current with a southerly set.
During a cold front, the current in the area between Punta Gorda, Belize and Livingston, Guatemala changes from a southerly set to a strong easterly set. Which brings us back to that cold, dark crossing and unexpected landfall my friends experienced.
I think it was a west wind and an easterly setting current (that "norther") combined with a few cocktails that sent my friends on that crazy trip to Puerto Cortez, Honduras. They're not likely to forget that one for a long time, and if they do, I'll remind them!
La Costa de Oro
Lago de Izabal
4636-6156 / 5171-7477
denny@dennysbeach.com
elpolvo
web foote

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on denny.

i can vindicate that chisme. when i first came down i left livingston at
sunset into the teeth of a norther headed for monkey town (december 23).
it rained hard all night and the power was off on shore. pitch black, four foot swells.
i was glad i had an instrument rating, a gps and an iron swing keel.

the sad part was that i flipped a cigarette butt off the stern... it landed
in george raft and burned a hole in the inflatable floor... it was raining
hard dammit... it should have been extiguished... but nooooooooooooo...

i patched it later and we saw a 24 inch shark the next day on the way
to dangriga so we were happy. Wink

thanks for posting good info... we get silly and lax sometimes but when
nitty comes to gritty, we are sailors and we thrive on local info that keeps us off the
coral heads and gets us safely to caye caulker.

moochers gracias.

-polvo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Travel to Belize All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: