Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting there - the sandbarsam blog
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Rio Dulce Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandbarsam
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: getting there - the sandbarsam blog Reply with quote

What are the best months to head there from florida..
best routes..any one who can sugest waypoints..
anyone out there looking to crew or be crewed to the rio
DonGato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go!

Come before Hurricane season.

Captn John?

You are a Captain. You know all this stuff. Say "Hi" to my friend Sandbar Sam.

Let's hear your two cents.
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandbarsam,

If I were you I would head down this way as soon as you can. You can pick weather windows and make the crossings between the northers.

Most people don't look at this route because it is longer but sometimes when sailing the shortest distance between two point is not necessarily a straight line.

If you have lots of time the best route for you would be to make your way to Fort Meyers, Florida, go through the St. Lucie Canal to the East Coast side at Stuart. From there jump across to the Bahamas. Work your way down through the Bahamas down Exuma Sound to Great Inagua. From there pick a favorable weather window to jump across to the Windward Passage and when past Cuba turn directly towards the Rio passing North of Jamaica. You can make stops in Jamaica and the Caymans along the way and even hit the Bay Islands of Honduras before you get to the Rio. The advantage of this route is that you get east of the typical norther track and you are in protected waters a great deal of the way while transiting the Bahamas. Once in the Caribbean you are somewhat protected from northers by Cuba, you have favorable winds behind you and favorable currents most of the route.

The other route would be to make your way to Key West then when a weather window opens jump to Dry Tortugas then due south to the Cuban coast. Follow the Cuban coast about 12 miles off until you are around Cabo San Antonio. Then head across the channel to Isla Mujeres. The biggest problem with this portion of the trip is you are fighting the Yucatan Current which is very strong however the route that I suggest will take you straight across the Gulf Stream to Cuba then you will be in a back eddy that is favorable to you until you get to Cabo San Antonio. When you make the crossing to Isla Mujeres you will again be fighting the current. From there you just work your way down as weather permits along the coast of Mexico and Belize. This is not a very good route and I would highly recommend the one I outlined above if you have the time. The other route also gives you a lot of different places to see and new things to do which is what cruising is all about.

I hope this answers your questions but feel free to ask if you have more.

I look forward to seeing you on the Rio.

Captain John
DonGato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with a three day crossing from Key West to Isla Mujeres?
sandbarsam
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: heading south to rio Reply with quote

sounds like a lot of gulf stream from key west..Tell me more..
My boat is on east coast of Florida..Melbourne..can do either......
any or all ..tell me how you all did it
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's wrong with a three day crossing from Key West to Isla Mujeres?

It can turn into a six day crossing with winds against the current and a rather NASTY trip.
DonGato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know. Robbie and I didn't leave till June and it took six days and we fought currents, headwinds and heavy seas all the way.

It was the nastiest crossing I have ever had. I loved it.

I would do it again in a New York minute!

The offer to crew still holds but not if we go the long way around.
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonGato wrote:
Yeah I know. Robbie and I didn't leave till June and it took six days and we fought currents, headwinds and heavy seas all the way.

It was the nastiest crossing I have ever had. I loved it.

I would do it again in a New York minute!

The offer to crew still holds but not if we go the long way around.

Must be the same brain function that women experience when they are willing to do childbirth more than once.
DonGato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy Dancer says.................
Quote:
Rule of life:
If it aint fun, don't do it
encor
Superb Senora Rio Cronista

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFLMAO

Quote:

Must be the same brain function that women experience when they are willing to do childbirth more than once.

...oh, windy one, i am spitting out my wine.....this is so rich Laughing
Scoop
Floundering Founder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay attention to the wisdom and advice of Windy Dancer and elpolvo if he jumps in here. Although he hasn't made many crossings, he's a very good weather guru. Last year I made a Key West to Dry Tortugas then Isla crossing in late March and early April. A very nasty trip which could have been more comfortable if we'd followed the advice of these two guys. Both of them were right on with their advice. We got into trouble simply because we were in too much of a hurry (another story).

First bit of advice: Do NOT be on some kind of time restrictive gotta-get-there-right-now deadline. If it takes two months to do it safely and comfortably, well .. duh .. do it. Otherwise you'll get thrashed and pounded by the Canadian/Texan northers and the Yucatan current. And, yeah, you could die out there. Like permanently dead, y'know.

Second bit of advice: Learn to enjoy those little hole-in-the-wall places like Punta Allen and Xjalac .. drink some luke warm beer and eat tortillas de maiz and stretch out on the beach and read a bunch of books and don't get into a hurry. There's some very strong natural stuff out there that can put you on the rocks very quickly and really mess up your trip and/or your life.

I've made the crossing four or five times (just a newbie) and have pulled some really dumb stunts on several of them (ignoring good advice, letting someone else much, much less experienced than I call the shots .. and simply not paying attention to gut instinct as to when to go and when to stay).

If in doubt, stay where you are and wander up the beach to look for a different book.

Particularly in March and April.

Ok .. I'll shut up.

Best of luck.
sandbarsam
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all...keep it coming..running 50/50...need to hear more...
who has done the most resent crossing...is it safe to stop at Cuba if weather is bad.rememberr guys..unless I strap on a big drum I have a 15 gallon tank with 4 five,s on deck..can not be doing a whole lot of beating and nose currentt,,,,30 ft Catalina with a three cylinder 20 horse universal
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandbarsam wrote:
thank you all...keep it coming..running 50/50...need to hear more...
who has done the most resent crossing...is it safe to stop at Cuba if weather is bad.rememberr guys..unless I strap on a big drum I have a 15 gallon tank with 4 five,s on deck..can not be doing a whole lot of beating and nose currentt,,,,30 ft Catalina with a three cylinder 20 horse universal

If you have a Catalina 30 with limited fuel range I would say that would be even more reason to take the Bahama route.

Your most difficult crossings will be the Florida Straights to the Bahama's (84 miles from St Lucie Inlet) and then the crossing from Great Inagua to the Windward passage (64 Miles). There are plenty of places to both hole up for weather and get fuel while making the trek down through the Bahamas.

The hardest part of this portion of the trip is crossing the straights (84 miles) and making your way from Southwest Point on Grand Bahama Is. to Nasau (About 130 miles) as this will be somewhat into the wind but there are places to stop and rest and wait for better weather all along this route. Once you leave Nasau you would head for the Fleeming Channel East of Eleuthera (about 26 miles) and that will again be into the wind but only a short jump. You would want to leave Nasau in the morning so you hit the Channel close to noon then post a bow watch while you cross the 26 miles of shallow bank to Exuma Sound.

From here to Matthew Town on Great Inagua is all inside the Bahama Islands and you are protected from the Atlantic swell. You also have plenty of places to stop for the night and rest along this route or get fuel and provisions if necessary. A good Bahama Cruising guide would be advisable.

Once you leave Matthew Town on Great Inagua you will have a 293 mile run to Montego Bay in Jamaica (about 60 hours) but the first 64 should be a reach and the next 230 miles will be downwind. I have no personal experience with stopping in Cuba but I have heard many say that the Cuban's are very hospitable should you need to make that a stop.

From Jamaica to the Rio is about a 640 mile run but with slight detours you could break that up by stopping at Grand Cayman (188 miles from Montego Bay) and Roatan (376 miles from Grand Cayman) before coming on to Livingston (130 miles from Roatan). This entire run would be with the wind at your back and should be a smooth ride just about any time. It should also require very little motoring as the NE trades are fairly steady through that area.

If you want details on the Isla Mujeres route let me know and I'll work on that.
sandbarsam
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: other route Reply with quote

Thank you windy dancer. Could you please show me the other route so I can compare.. thank you
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make your way to Key West. If this is a challenge then don't read any further Laughing

From Key West pick a 6 day weather window to go to Dry Tortugas (58 miles) then turn due south for a point 12 miles off Cuba near Bahia Honda (86 miles). You will have a current of up to 3 knts from the west while making this crossing and if the wind is from the east this can get a little bumpy as the wind here is against the current. Now turn to follow along the Cuba coast to a point off Cabo San Antonio (126 miles). You should get a favorable current of up to 1 knt here. Now it gets nasty. You should proceed due south for about 45 miles to a point due east of Isla Mujeres. The current will be against you at 1 to 2 knots. Now turn due west, directly for Isla Mujeres (86 miles). This is the worst part of the crossing. You will have a current of up to 4 knts setting you to the north while you are trying to make your way west. If your boat only goes 5 knots, which is a reasonable assumption for a Catalina 30, you will only be making about 2 knots good to your destination. That works out to about 48 hours to make just this part of the crossing. If the wind kicks up from the north the seas can get pretty brutal because the wind will be against the current and you are now at the far edge of any weather forecast you got before leaving Key West.

If you don't make a stop in Cuba to get fuel (Again, I know very little about what may or may not be available in Cuba) you have about 400 miles to make (Key West to Isla Mujeres) with much of it against some very significant current. The positive side is that the prevailing winds are northeasterly and that could be in your favor but don't count on them being a lot of help.

Once you recover in Isla Mujeres you continue on south toward Cozumel (47 miles) Bahia de la Ascension (50 miles) Bahia Espiritu Santo (22 miles) and then the entrance to Ambergis Cay (82 miles). You could detour over to Banco Chinchorro (35 miles from Bahia Espiritu Santo) to break up this leg. You can also go into Xcalak (40 miles from the north end of Banco Chinchorro). The Ambergis Cay entrance (San Pedro Pass) may or may not be available to you when you get there as it becomes a very dangerous entrance if the wind is blowing strong. If it is blowing continue on south to the entrance at Long Cay (15 miles). Get Freya Rauscher's Cruising Guide to Belize and Mexico for details on this portion of the trip.

Once inside the Belize reef the most you will have to worry about is running aground and dealing with the Belize officials. Just continue on south to the Rio and enjoy a little snorkeling along the way.

I cannot over emphasize the nastiness you can experience on that 400 miles fro Key West to Isla Mujeres. You need the wind to help you save fuel but the favorable wind is against the current and can make for very steep seas that can be very uncomfortable and very dangerous.

Note that I recommend that you proceed 45 miles south of Cabo San Antonio before making the turn to Isla Mujeres. The reason is that this route allows you to get the south part of the leg accomplished while in a reasonably weak part of the current stream. The direct route would be about 103 miles however, once you get away from Cabo San Antonio the current gets stronger and you will be fighting a stronger current for a longer time.

Any questions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Rio Dulce Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: