Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Utila, East Harbour: Deck Gear Stolen - June 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> THE GROUND TRUTH
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rule Britannia
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Utila, East Harbour: Deck Gear Stolen - June 2015 Reply with quote

This is from Noonsite

See http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Honduras/honduras-utila-east-harbour-deck-gear-stolen-june-2015

Honduras, Utila, East Harbour: Deck Gear Stolen - June 2015
By Sara Hajdu last modified Jul 07, 2015 04:09 PM
Published: 2015-07-01 00:00:00
Topics: Piracy Reports 2015
Countries: Honduras

Sadly I have to report two robberies that happened in Utila, Honduras. We arrived here to visit a local friend and we were on anchor in East Harbour, our boat is a 50' catamaran.

The first robbery happened on the 15th of June, 2015 while we were sleeping on board. 4 crew, none of us woke up. We realized the next morning we were missing a wetsuit, a pair of fins and a bootie, that got left out to dry from a previous dive. We posted on every facebook page and spread around the word.

The second robbery happened on the 25th of June, 2015, also we were sleeping on board, none of us heard anything, but two dive tanks were missing by the time we woke up. We have massive tank holders on board so it is not so easy to open them up and get two without making any noise! ... Also posted on every facebook page, spread around the word and went to the port Captain to report the robbery, but to be honest he could not care less...

Because of this we decided to leave although we really liked the island.
We are grateful no people got hurt!

Sara Hajdu
SV Pearl
Lorelei79
Super Senior Flying Squirrel Butt

Location: Keeping a count of my nuts for the cold season. Oh. Wait. Lady Squirrels don't HAVE nuts!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utila has been a problematic anchorage for years. If it is not the weather, then you have to deal with the traffic in the anchorage and the noise from the bars and hotels ashore.

Unfortunately, this traffic consists of "shoppers", "hot-doggers", and political thievery (names withheld to avoid legal ramifications, but PM me if you want the names!)

Your best alliance on the Island is with Roger Mehrer and his wife, Lo Pitts. Roger was instrumental in helping us deal with the death of a friend there, and Lo is an outstanding veterinarian on the island.

BTW - when I had to deal with the Capitain del Puerto regarding the boat of my friend who drowned there, I asked him in my very best broken Espanol, about the picture he had on his desk. Me: "Estas su familia?" Him: "Yes. That is my daughter. She just graduated from Cal Tech".

Seriously - get in touch with Roger if you have issues. He's a gem! Tell him I sent you.
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the rumor that Utila had finally got their act together was greatly exaggerated.

I agree Utila is home to some really great people. On my first sail to Honduras I stopped over there on my way to Roatan to meet someone that was flying down to look at property. She was delayed and I had to stay longer than I intended. I met a few people while waiting and never made it to Roatan, ended up hanging out in Utila the whole 3 months. Then I got burgled and lost at least $10-12 grand worth of property.

It's just a shame the bad far outweighs the good (to now include the potentially deadly risk even sailing there). Everyone I'd met there is angry at the crime that rules their island but can neither say or do anything about it as Lorelei says, it is 'politically' based.

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Riggerman
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand about the political aspect ? Can some one explain to Me how stealing and politics are related. Usually it is the politician that steals other peoples money Smile
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will PM the answer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> THE GROUND TRUTH All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: