Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

? about AGM batteries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> How Do I ..? Boating Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: ? about AGM batteries Reply with quote

Are AGM batteries considered deep cycle?

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Rick Clifton
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Google it Reply with quote

Trojan's Reliant™ Line of U.S.-made Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are the only true deep-cycle AGM battery on the market today. Reliant is engineered with an advanced technology feature set that provides outstanding sustained performance and total energy output, delivering the exceptional quality and reliability ...

Learn and Live Free
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm looking for a mid-sized 12v battery to use with my launcha bilge pump. I keep killing motorcycle batteries by running them all the way down

I'd like it sealed too so I don't have to be bothered filling it with water all the time.

Rick Clifton
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: new tech.. Reply with quote

I would think You know how to Google.. but there is a lot going on in batteries.. like lithium.. They have Lithium Motorcycle Batteries now that are pretty good.. take a beating and are long life.. now thats is a deep cycle... and they don't mind running them down....think about that..

Good Luck..
markfisher
Souper Duphus Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick question does the price difference make sense to buy the better battery? I checked on motorcycle ones and the price difference was 4 or 5 times more expensive, from the cheapest one I could locate??? Though getting tired of replacing every 2 years.
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markfisher wrote:
Rick question does the price difference make sense to buy the better battery? I checked on motorcycle ones and the price difference was 4 or 5 times more expensive, from the cheapest one I could locate??? Though getting tired of replacing every 2 years.

I'm looking for a (mid sized 20-30A) sealed deep cycle battery because small wet cell batteries are just too fussy. I've been using 6-8 amp motorcycle batteries to power the bilge pump in my launcha. During rainy times I burn through them every 3 months or so because they are not designed to be 'deep cycle'. It kills them if you run them down all the way. Plus I have to stay on top of keeping them 'wet'. As small as they are it doesn't take much loss of water to damage them.

Rick Clifton
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it all depends on your situation... for a moto ,,, are you planning on keeping it for more than 2 years ?? then I would buy the better batteries,,, if you plan to get a new one every 2 years then stay with the factory batteries,, for a bilge,, I would think that would be a situation where you keep burning them up,,, then try a better deep cycle battery.. that will be the only true way to tell...
in my new bike ,, it has a AGM Battery,, as well as My Yellow bike (Honda),, which I find to be far superior in my situation.. they last a long time in a Moto.. (they will take a beating)
for the bilge,, you could try a AGM and see... at least you won't be running it dry.. question ?? how are you recharging the batt.... ? an AGM needs to have a proper charge to work well and that takes a charger that is set up for AGM... so that might restrict your battery life,, I'm not sure.. it can be just as important to match the charger to the batt,, as it is to match the batt to the situation... My Opinion is every situation is different.. and batteries are also... just have to experiment till you get the right combination battery and charger
there is lots of information on line.. google it and learn... My Motto is "Learn and live Free"
Riggerman
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rigged My dinghy with an automatic bilge pump. I use a small AGM with a float switch. I also bought a small solar panel in Canada $20.00 works great so far for the last three years. It will not over charge your battery, nor will they drain to the extent of killing them. Do not buy the panel at systema solares. I am sure they are good, but they are too big (mine is half the size) and too pricey you can also go with a flexible small mat. Sold in most automobile part store in the US and Canada. 15 to 20 dollars.
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Clifton wrote:
question ?? how are you recharging the batt.... ? an AGM needs to have a proper charge to work well and that takes a charger that is set up for AGM... so that might restrict your battery life,, I'm not sure.. it can be just as important to match the charger to the batt,, as it is to match the batt to the situation...

You are correct in that an AGM needs a charger specifically designed to charge AGM batteries. Can't remember the difference and I think it applies to Gel Cell batteries as well though not sure. For sure a common car battery charger will damage an AGM/Gel, shorten the life.

I purchased a 'special' AGM battery charger in anticipation of this. Now I just need to find a battery to go with it

Rick Clifton
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: AGM's Reply with quote

I believe the last one I purchased was from Chiqui... at Trenda Reeds... also I believe that Omar that sells Solar Panels can get them ,,also Agramar downtown.. and I agree with Riggerman,, You can charge with a small solar panel.
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm pretty sure Chiqui has Gel Cells, not AGM's although that is not a sticking point for me. I'm just looking for sealed so I won't have to mess with the maintenance.

What he doesn't have is a 'mid sized' deep cycle. His only sealed deep cycle is full sized. I need a smaller battery as my 12' launcha locker is up front and the weight/size is too much. System Solaris has the perfect battery for me but 2X the cost of the one Chiqui has. Gah!

Looks like I'll just have to settle for his mid-sized sealed as that's the only reasonably priced battery I'm finding avail. I'll just have to keep up with the charging, not let it get too low.

Fortunately (unfortunately) my launcha is under a tree, in the shade so a solar panel just won't help

Rick Clifton
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: AGM vs Gel Reply with quote

Well now your going a different direction... if your requirement is cheap,, you will get what you pay for,, and not solve any problem.. AGM is what you want and need,, and you can use a standard charger if that is all you have ( you said you have a charger).. but don't use a Gel charger..

as long as you require CHEAP...You will not fix the problem... that is what you will have,, with the same problem... I wouldn't think replacing a battery every 3 months is cheaper than a AGM that is well taken care of... just My Opinion....
elpolvo
web foote

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fret-

why don't you just drill a hole in the bottom of the dinghy for the water
to run out? it works for me.

-web foote

(see photo below)

Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: AGM vs Gel Reply with quote

Rick Clifton wrote:
Well now your going a different direction... if your requirement is cheap,, you will get what you pay for,, and not solve any problem.. AGM is what you want and need,, and you can use a standard charger if that is all you have ( you said you have a charger).. but don't use a Gel charger..

as long as you require CHEAP...You will not fix the problem... that is what you will have,, with the same problem... I wouldn't think replacing a battery every 3 months is cheaper than a AGM that is well taken care of... just My Opinion....

If you use a standard charger on an AGM it will kill it. Not immediately, but over time. That's why they sell chargers specifically designed for AGM. The charger I have detects whether the battery is wet cell, gel or AGM and charges accordingly.

I didn't say I required cheap. I'm just not inclined to pay 2X the price for what amounts to the same battery.

Last edited by Fretless on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Rule Britannia
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out DEPRO & Omar to see what they have?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> How Do I ..? Boating Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: