Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A sea of plastic: Shocking images show how bottles, bags an

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Cruising Areas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XIsle
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: A sea of plastic: Shocking images show how bottles, bags an Reply with quote

FIGHT OVER YOUR GUNS, FIGHT OVER THE KILLINGS, BUT JUST WATCH AS THE POLLUTION OVERTAKES YOUR WATERS, THOUSE OF YOU WHO LEAVE THE DOCK, AND FIND A FIGHT WORTHY OF FIGHTING FOR FOR EVERYONE ENVOLVED. UNITE, DO NOT DIVIDE, WE ALL HAVE A SMALL PART TO PLAY IN THIS RATHER THAN THE TRIVIAL PRATTLE ABOUT GUNS. ENVIORNMENT IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. WAKE UP..! WAKE UP, UNITE IN A WORTHY CAUSE. STOP BICKERING OVER USELESS TRIVIAL BULLSHIT. THIS IS A [img]REAL CRISIS AND IT IS IS YOUR WATERS. UNITE, UNITE, UNITE

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/10/20/20/458406B300000578-5002084-image-a-24_1508526997919.jpg [/img]

SOURCE: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5002084/Oceans-choked-plastic-bottles-bags-rubbish.html
Rule Britannia
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the Daily Wail has not done their research again and goes for sensationalism

Although the whole situation this past season has not been helped by the large amounts of seaweed/Sargasso weed that traps this kinds of garbage, to say that “everything is coming from Guatemala?” is a little bit far fetched

So all this plastic has come about 140 miles UP WIND AND UP CURRENT to Roatan from Guatemala

The Wail had not looked at any of the down wind/down current beaches and cayes in Guatemala, Belize or Mexico where the plastic goes to. I wonder where it all came from?
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule Britannia wrote:
to say that “everything is coming from Guatemala?” is a little bit far fetched

I'm sure you're right (Honduras doesn't have any rivers flushing out after a rain?) but I will say I got 'woke' about this a few years ago.

I was heading to the Bay Islands right after we had some big rains. Just as I cleared Tres Puntes, heading East, I could not believe the amount of trash in the water. Plastic bags, Cloro/soda/outboard oil bottles, flip flops, chip bags, etc., you name it. And I don't mean just here & there. Everywhere. For miles. Floating in a big 'gyre' just outside Amatique Bay. Not as dense as the pics in that article but a least a piece or two of plastic trash every sq meter. Dense enough that I was absolutely shocked. And saddened. And pissed off.

I don't know where it all finally ended up but it certainly shouldn't have ended up where it did.

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)
dennysbeach
Senior Lake Rat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a strong easterly current from Cabo 3 Puntas almost making it to Utila sometimes.
Yes there is a current from Guatemala to Honduras.
I went to the southern cayes about 10 years ago and never went back.
Garbage Cayes they should call them.
La Costa de Oro
Lago de Izabal
4636-6156 / 5171-7477
denny@dennysbeach.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Cruising Areas All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: