Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fitzgerald broadsided.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> The Debate Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riggerman
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Fitzgerald broadsided. Reply with quote

The USS Fitzgerald should be renamed USS White House. Why ? Because both their Commander in chief thinks the rules don't apply to them.

All joking aside, I am sure all our thoughts are going to the 7 missing sailors.
XIsle
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shocked when I first read this news account of a US naval frigate colliding with a merchant marine vessel. As a long time cruiser it is just hard to imagine that there were not "eyes" on deck, anti collision hardware, radar and more from both vessels, especially a military frigate. I can see the merchant marine vessel short handed on the bridge, but the US Navy frigate? It's still difficult to fathom how it could have happened, was everyone 'out to lunch'? Murphy's Law in action.
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure it can be said the frigate 'collided' with anything. From the pics it looks like the frigate was T-boned by the container ship.

But either way I agree it's very hard to imagine how it could have happened to a Navy frigate. Maybe one of Kim Jung Un's new stealth anti-ship freighters?

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)
tiderunner
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Fitzgerald Reply with quote

USN Ship:.. Please divert your course 2 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

Reply:.. Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the north to avoid a collision.

USN Ship:.. This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.

Reply:.. No! I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship:.. THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER CVN-75, THE USS HARRY S. TRUMAN! WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

Reply:.. This is the Montauk Point Lighthouse. Your call........
XIsle
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Fret: collision defined: an instance of one moving object or person striking violently against another.

The two ships collided, the frigate collided with the merchant marine and/or the merchant marine collided with frigate or if you prefer they collided with each other, however by definition there was a collision of the two vessels.

AND from GCaptian: UPDATE: US Navy Destroyer Collides With Container Ship

FYI: The International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea 1972 (Colregs) are published by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and set out, among other things, the "rules of the road" or navigation rules to be followed by ships and other vessels at sea to prevent collisions between two or more vessels.

CROSSING SITUATION
(From Rules 15 and 17)
When two power-driven vessels are crossing so as to
involve the risk of collision, the vessel which has the other
on her own starboard side shall keep out of the way and
avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel. (if the collision was the result off a crossing situation)

I'm not informed as to who had any right of way, or if it was even a crossing situation. I am certain an investigation will reveal all answers, blame ect.

X

Last edited by XIsle on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
XIsle
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: 10 High Resolution Photos Of US Navy Destroyer Collision Reply with quote

http://gcaptain.com/high-resolution-photos-us-navy-destroyer-collision/

Damage to the Navy frigate appears to be on the starboard side of the vessel, damage to the Merchant mariner appears to be on port, hinting that the MM vessel had RoW and Navy frigate did NOT have RoW and would have to yield or alter course to the Merchant marine vessel.
Not trying to play Monday morning quarterback, just a comment, see for yourself. The inquiry will happen and the facts will be known.....in time.

X
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not seen any pics of the container ship, only of the frigate. One thing is for sure “Lucy! You got some 'splainin' to do!”

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider regarding this incident.

The AIS track of the container ship shows he made a hard turn to starboard at the time of the collision. This would be consistent with the rule of always turn to starboard when trying to avoid a collision.

There is no AIS track for the destroyer because US Navy ships try to remain stealthy. This may better explain what happened. The destroyer was not transmitting AIS and everybody on commercial vessels relies on AIS as their "lookout". As a result the container ship didn't "see" the destroyer until it was too late. When he did he made his turn to starboard and that is why the damage to the container ship is on the port bow.

Since the destroyer was not transmitting AIS he had the responsibility to keep a better lookout. He obviously did not. He also had the responsibility to give way to vessels to his starboard. He obviously did not.

This should be a lesson for cruisers. AIS is the lookout on commercial ships. Any vessel greater than 300 tons is required to have it. Vessels less than 300 tons should have it so they can be more easily seen. Since commercial ships rely on AIS as their "lookout" cruisers without AIS should be very careful to watch for traffic because they will probably not be seen.
tiderunner
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Fitzgerald Collission Reply with quote

July 21 (UPI) -- Preliminary findings indicate crew members of the USS Fitzgerald are to blame for the guided-missile destroyer's deadly collision with a cargo ship off the coast of Japan in June, U.S. defense officials said Friday.

Unnamed defense officials told CNN and The Wall Street Journal that the crew on board the ship failed to take proper measures to avoid a Philippine-flagged cargo ship that crashed into it June 17.

"They did nothing until the last second," one source said. "A slew of things went wrong." Another official said the crash "will wind up being [the U.S. Navy's] fault."

The crash crushed Cmdr. Bryce Benson's cabin, injuring the captain, and flooded sailors' sleeping quarters. Seven sailors died.

The USS Fitzgerald entered a dry dock in Yokosuka, Japan, last week for evaluation. It arrived at the Yokosuka naval base within hours after the collision, with a 12-by-17-foot hole ripped in its starboard side below the waterline.

The impact crushed the ship's superstructure, twisted its hull and ruined onboard electrical equipment worth tens of millions of dollars.

The U.S. Navy said it is continuing to investigate the crash.
Riggerman
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been a navy boy, but an Airborne, and when ever in the field, anything else then 110% alertness is required at all time. So it goes to wonder how a ship with such maneuverability and weaponry could be broadsided. I am not an expert, but unless they blew their engines and were sitting ducks it was their fault. No experts needed just common sense. Just glad it was not a suicide boat like the " U.S.S. Cole attack.
tiderunner
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Fitzgerald Reply with quote

YOKOSUKA, Japan -- The commanding officer, executive officer and command master chief of the guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) were relieved of their duties by Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin, Commander, Seventh Fleet, on August 18. Additionally, a number of officer and enlisted watch standers were held accountable. The determinations were made following a thorough review of the facts and circumstances leading up to the June 17 collision between Fitzgerald and the merchant vessel ACX Crystal.

The collision was avoidable and both ships demonstrated poor seamanship. Within Fitzgerald, flawed watch stander teamwork and inadequate leadership contributed to the collision that claimed the lives of seven Fitzgerald Sailors, injured three more, and damaged both ships.

With absolute accountability for the safe navigation of Fitzgerald, Cmdr. Bryce Benson was relieved due to a loss of confidence in his ability to lead. He had previously been temporarily relieved of his duties due to medical reasons from injuries sustained during the collision. Cmdr. Benson is being reassigned to Naval District Washington at the Washington Navy Yard, where he will have access to medical facilities in the area.

Inadequate leadership by the executive officer, Cmdr. Sean Babbitt, and command master chief, Master Chief Petty Officer Brice Baldwin, contributed to the lack of watch stander preparedness and readiness that was evident in the events leading up to the collision.

Several junior officers were relieved of their duties due to poor seamanship and flawed teamwork as bridge and combat information center watch standers. Additional administrative actions were taken against members of both watch teams.

Cmdr. Garret Miller will assume command from Fitzgerald's acting commanding officer, Cmdr. John "Jack" Fay sometime mid-to-late-August.

It was also evident from this review that the entire Fitzgerald crew demonstrated real toughness that night. Following the collision these Sailors responded with urgency, determination and creativity to sav
XIsle
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/john-mccain-us-warship-collides-with-merchant-vessel-east-of-singapore_us_599a3751e4b0a2608a6d04e2?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

SINGAPORE/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. warship was damaged after colliding with a merchant vessel east of Singapore on Monday, the U.S. Navy said, the second accident involving U.S. Navy destroyers in Asian waters in little more than two months.

The Navy said in a statement the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while “the ship was transiting to a routine port visit in Singapore”.
tiderunner
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Fitzgerald broadsided Reply with quote

The orders issued recently by the Navy’s top officer for ships worldwide, Vice Adm. Thomas S. Rowden, drew on the lessons that commanders gleaned from a 24-hour fleetwide suspension of operations last month to examine basic seamanship, teamwork and other fundamental safety and operational standards.

Continue reading the main story

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/us/politics/navy-orders-safety-operational-standards.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> The Debate Club All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: