Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing in a vehicle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Rio Dulce Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riggerman
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Bringing in a vehicle Reply with quote

I am sure this question has been brought up in the past, But I will ask anyway Smile
I want to bring My motorcycle to the Rio. Lately, some one told Me it is not possible unless I pay import tax, due to the fact that I already have a boat there, and that it is considered a vehicle, and only one vehicle is allowed for anyone person.
Is that right ?
Thank you.
ontno1
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought a scooter in when I arrived on my boat and they both got stickers.
Rick Clifton
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Importation Reply with quote

You are mostly correct... but if You want to ride the bike here in Guatemala You will need to get Plates and a Card of Circulation, which will mean importation.... which would be required after something like 40 days unless you take it out of the c-4 every 40 days. I had no problem bringing in My Moto on My boat.. but I had to start import right away. Guatemala is not much different than other countries here (Mexico) You are only allowed 1 temporary import at a time. One of the Guys here ... has His boat here (temporary) and was able to bring in a Van by putting it in another name and having the other person drive it across the border.
(He went to a notary and had a paper drawn up (in Mexico) giving the other person permission to have the vehicle. I don't know if the paper has a name or not.)

but the short story is that to ride legal here, You will have to import. and the fees are high enough (28% plus other fees) that You will be better if you just buy a bike here.

I also have a friend that brought a bike on board and was not asked about it when He entered (by boat). He in turn rides it here (locally) without papers, but He also can lose the bike and have problems if involved in any accident, or stopped by the wrong Policeman..... not really worth it to me..

My Question to Ortno,,, what happens to the bike papers,, I don't understand ... did you ever have to deal with the sticker later ?? and if not ,, why ,, or better how ? what happens when You renew the boat papers ?? just curious... I assume nothing.. that's Guatemala...
ontno1
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I perhaps was not there long enough to test the system. Rode it with the sticker and a Mexican plate without incidence.
I agree that it is probably best to buy a motorcycle in Guatemala rather than import one. Same holds true for Mexico, buy there, don't try to import.
dennysbeach
Senior Lake Rat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with motorcycles is that he cops donīt give a damn. Iīve got 4 in the family and we never have trouble with the police. Itīs like they really donīt care about motos at this point.
My daughter has been riding motos in Los Amates since she was 14.
Mine has no plate or papers and I donīt have a driverīs licence.
I am sure that the SAT will start cracking down like they did with the lanches but in the meantime is is pretty safe to use a bike.
La Costa de Oro
Lago de Izabal
4636-6156 / 5171-7477
denny@dennysbeach.com
Riggerman
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your incites. But I doubt My motorcycle would be unnoticed by the officials, It is a one of a kind Goldwing. When in Mexico a few years back, I got stopped all the time, just so they could look at it. Never got a ticket, but darn sure lost a lot of riding time playing show and tell. LOL

So I guess buying is the way to go. Hardly Davidson I suppose LOL. Nah, I would not go that low.
Rick Clifton
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: just a note... Reply with quote

I have a couple of bikes I would sell... brand new ,, dirt bike style... "China Bikes".. new price 11,400Q.. sell for 8,500Q.. one has only 840 kilometers. brand new ,, can give 6 mth warranty.. 4561 2562.. come take a look.. behind Rancho Maria.. (tuc tuc knows where it is... ) price includes all papers and plates... 100% legal
(edit) 200cc

Last edited by Rick Clifton on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riggerman
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, I wont be back until probably September, but I will keep you in mind. Mind you riding around on 125 CC would be a step down for Me LOL
Big drop from 1800 CC.
markfisher
Souper Duphus Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO My 2 cents, most of these dirt bikes 200cc are copy's of Honda 200cc Work well Did a trip to Linkin/ Cobon perfect
I have one with 15,000 k on it runs and works great. only thing I do not like is the knobby rear tire. Just never got around to find one . Seems the shops that sell tires only carry the knobby type not good in the rain at all.
Also have a 2nd junker bike 125cc no plate for 12 years lost or stolen? and never a problem. Have never paid the reg. on it . Still runs but only kick start easy . No battery
Yes got stopped at a road block on way to San Felipe my response , Got the runs real bad,need the bathroom. I will be right back, and on my way I went .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Rio Dulce Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: