Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Checking in at Big Creek, current procedure
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Travel to Belize
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dignolita10
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Check In Procedure in Belize Reply with quote

Captain John,

Would you record your waypoints (if you haven't already)? I am having to go in April and have never been there before and have much trepidation about where I am going. Scared like hell. Know I should not be but I am. I was planning to anchor at Tres Punta and start North in the morning.

Are you sailing or motoring? How long will it take you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan, I have made the trip many times and have tracks and routes as follows:

From Livingston Sea Buoy 4.52 NM to Ox Tongue Shoal Marker @ 15 53.744 X 88.41.337
From Ox Tongue Shoal Marker 5.25 NM to Punta Manabique Anchorage @ 15 55.758 X 88 36.300

From Punta Manabique Anchorage to WP 1 @ 15 56.034 X 88 37.378
From Punta Manabique WP 1 1.93 NM to Tres Puntas @ 15 57.810 X 88 38.169
From Tres Puntas 21.07 NM to WP North of East Snake Cay @ 16 15.830 X 88 26.804
From WP North of East Snake Cay 10.73 NM to Penguin Shoal Marker @ 16.25.702 X 88 22.432
From Penguin Shoal Marker 3.23 NM to Big Creek Channel Sea Buoy @ 16 28.920 X 88 22.646
If you are going to Big Creek follow the well-marked channel from this point.
If you are going to Placencia or returning from Big creek to go to Placencia proceed as below.
Big Creek Channel Sea Buoy 1.75 NM to Placencia Anchorage @ 16 30.535 X 88 21.932
dignolita10
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Belize Check IN Procedures Reply with quote

Thanks John. I will map this out on my charts. I have heard numerous horror stories about the reef and frankly it just scares me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dignolita10
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Belize Check in Procedures Reply with quote

John,

As I understood (rightly or wrongly) that there is a problem anchoring in Big Creek and that you have to go to Placentia, take the ferry, then the cab to immigration. Is that your understanding?
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Belize Check in Procedures Reply with quote

dignolita10 wrote:
John,

As I understood (rightly or wrongly) that there is a problem anchoring in Big Creek and that you have to go to Placentia, take the ferry, then the cab to immigration. Is that your understanding?

That is what I am trying to find out here. There are conflicting reports as to what the procedure is. They were working on the channel and that was why they didn't want boats coming up to Big Creek. If the channel work has been completed then they may now want boats to follow the old procedure of coming up to big Creek. What is the requirement this week? Inquiring minds want to know.
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Belize Check IN Procedures Reply with quote

dignolita10 wrote:
Thanks John. I will map this out on my charts. I have heard numerous horror stories about the reef and frankly it just scares me.

The route that I have mapped out for you is the inside passage and doesn't take you anywhere near the reef.
dignolita10
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Check In Procedure in Belize Reply with quote

I sent a note to Little J to see if Big J knew whether you could/should go up the Creek. They went to Placentia to stay but Big J might know if you can go up the Creek.

If I get a response I will let you know as soon as possible.

If we don't get this figured out before you leave, I would appreciate it if you could ascertain the answer when you go. I am sure the info would be helpful not just to me but others on the river.
Rule Britannia
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Check In Procedure in Belize Reply with quote

dignolita10 wrote:
I sent a note to Little J to see if Big J knew whether you could/should go up the Creek. They went to Placentia to stay but Big J might know if you can go up the Creek.

If I get a response I will let you know as soon as possible.

If we don't get this figured out before you leave, I would appreciate it if you could ascertain the answer when you go. I am sure the info would be helpful not just to me but others on the river.

We were in Belize until January of this year, You are not allowed to go ashore at Big Creek.

The procedure and costs are the same as at the beginning of this thread, anchor at Placencia and go via the Hokey Pokey water taxi to Mango Creek then land taxi to Big Creek to check in, You need to go to the following in this order

1 immigration
2 Customs
3 Port captain
4 BAHA (health people)

Always arrive and leave in office hours, it saves being charged overtime
dignolita10
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: check In Procedure in Belize Reply with quote

I just got a response back from Little J. The Creek is still closed. You have to anchor at Placencia, take the ferry then the cab.
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, thanks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Nate
Freshman River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only tried clearing in by sailing into Big Creek once but it was a BIG hassle. Anchoring at Placencia, Hokey Pokey, and taxis is far easier. Punta Gorda is easier still at least for clearing out. Just anchor out front, dinghy in, short walk to one building with everyone in one place, grab some beer and your gone in under an hour or 2. At least that's been my experience, but yours may vary, it is Belize.
dignolita10
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Checking into Belize Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can check at San Pedro?
dignolita10
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Checking into Belize Reply with quote

Rule Britannia
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Checking into Belize Reply with quote

dignolita10 wrote:

Yes, Customs and Immigration are in the same building on the first floor right by the airport.

Last time we were there, Immigration asked to see our Belize Ports papers and as we owed some money, they rang the BPA official so that he could update them and collect the fees
dignolita10
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Checking into Belize Reply with quote

Thanks. Although I am going to go to Placentia, I will consider checking in at San Pedro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Travel to Belize All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: