Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4th at anchor robbery in 2 weeks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> THE GROUND TRUTH
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBright
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: 4th at anchor robbery in 2 weeks Reply with quote

Yesterday evening, brand new arrivals to the river were burglarized at anchor in the bay off of the town side of the bridge. They made the mistake of leaving their boat unlocked and dinghied in to Bruno's.

The stolen items were strangely, a TV, DVD player, and various credit cards and cash. However, they left behind, many small and expensive smart phones, ipods, and tablets.

This is obviously a group that is working the bay and may be monitoring boats with some type of surveillance tools.

I believe Fretless mentioned he twice saw two girls using binoculars to look out at the bay. Fretless, can you share more of what you saw with the rest of us?

Anyway, this group has been successful 4 times now and will continue this lucrative business until they are caught.

Please be aware, lock your boats, and lets all be on the lookout for suspicious activity on the river.
sageofsalem
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Another "crack whore attack?" Reply with quote

Please tell me this is not the same bunch of junkie prostitutes that have plagued Fronteras for years, were involved in the death of our good friend Scotty and continue to operate with seeming impunity (intermittently) selling their "favors" and returning to steal computers, etc. Same crew with new skills?

What gives?

Menos
Scoop
Floundering Founder

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be, Menos. I'm out of the loop here at Denny's (no problems here, of course) but it sounds like the handiwork of the girl or girls you mentioned. They usually work with Johnny (Mangera) but I've heard he's either locked up or in a hospital. Perhaps they've found a new assistant/cohort. And they don't limit their thefts to boaters .. anyone is fair game, locals included.

Just be very careful about who you invite on your boat -- at anchor or in a marina -- or in your hotel room.

And, of course, that's not an isolated problem here .. it can happen in Thailand, Houston, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago or London .. or Miami. Wink

Just sayin ..
sageofsalem
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: lessons learned Reply with quote

Yes, My friend

You can probably guess that is a lesson I learned "the hard way" (is there any other way?) some time ago.

But when these shiny wind powered "spaceships" pull up and the owners leave em anchored with the portlights, hatches and companionways open,

las niņas pobres deben soņar con riquezas fabulosas. Because with the boat wide open-it's no longer a dream-it's a challenge.
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time, some friends and I were sitting at the 'river view' bar at Sundog. We noticed what we thought might be a couple of nice looking chicas standing at the very end of the pier at the new restaurant/disco between Mirams & Dispensa. As we were watching them we joked they must be checking us out as well since they were looking out over the water with binoculars.

Maybe 3 or 4 days later I go to Sundog again and sitting at the corner of the 'river view' bar there are two girls, one maybe in her late teens/early 20's and a younger definitely of teen age sitting at the corner of the bar with binoculars. They certainly didn't strike me as junkie prostitutes.

Occasionally the younger one would look out over the anchorage using the binos. I can't say whether either of them used their phone since I simply wasn't paying them that much attention. I have no idea if they were the same girls we saw the first time. Both times were later in the late afternoon though, but before dusk/dark.

I really didn't think much about it until I heard a boat had been burgled and I went 'Hmmm...'. I only heard about the burglary later so I can't say if the burglary even occurred on the same day I saw them. Heck, I can't even remember exactly what days I saw them. As I said before it could very well be coincidence but you have to admit it is unusual to see 'non-gringo' girls with binoculars. I don't think they were bird watching though.

I would just suggest keeping an eye out for the bino twins and if you see them note the time & date and try to pass the word around, let people know (VHF?) they might be getting cased. Especially if you know someone on the hook and have their phone number. Maybe even try to take a picture of them if your phone has a camera for later 'reference'.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if it were that organized... have someone scope out the boats, watch for someone to leave then call the burglars, let them know when the coast is clear and alert them if not.

Its the way it's done in 'Burglary Bay' (Utila). I would really hate to think the Rio Dulce is now becoming host to a similar element.

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Scoop
Floundering Founder

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBright wrote:
Quote:
The stolen items were strangely, a TV, DVD player, and various credit cards and cash. However, they left behind, many small and expensive smart phones, ipods, and tablets.

Interesting, J, cuz I just learned that one of the girls mentioned by Sage had recently lost her DVD player and TV and, according to the local grapevine, tried to steal the same from a local Guatemalan .. she was caught in the act and physically thrown out of the house. Hence, she might have been looking for another (easier) source.

And, the girls have learned that it is of little value to grab IPad or IPods or SmartPhones that require a security code to function .. which renders them rather worthless for resale value, particularly if they are enabled with GPS security tracking.

However, if such items are stolen, it isn't difficult to track the girls down in their after-hours haunts and offer a "reward" for the return of the stolen items at a negotiated value. They are usually very agreeable to such a transaction since there isn't much market value for security enabled electronic devices.

Be calm and polite and you'll usually get some of your stuff back. Get huffy and aggressive and .. well, you don't want to do that. The girls usually have backup right around the corner. Be cool.

And, no, the police will not get involved unless the person accused is caught redhanded and in custody with the stolen property in possession, which is usually very difficult -- particularly if you can't outrun a very determined and very swift 18 y.o. through the backstreets of Fronteras, which isn't a very smart thing to do.

I've been fortunate -- despite not being very smart. Maybe because my boat looks like some kind of Navy coast guard/commercial vessel (until the girls figure out otherwise)

Buy me a couple of cuba libres and I'll share my "wisdom". Wink

If you'd like to know why there isn't a 24/7 Navy patrol anymore, just talk to Marlene at Mar Marine or Uri at Nana Juana or Heidi at La Joya or Daphne at Tortugal or any of the other local marinas who declined to participate in the program. The only marinas that participated for years were Tijax, Catamaran, RAM Marine, Monkey Bay, Bruno's, Capt. John and Mario's.

The participating marinas finally got tired of funding the whole patrol while other marinas shared in the benefits. And the government of Guatemala has not stepped in to provide the security service.
JBright
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scoop, we'll be by to share some of your wisdom and buy you a couple drinks no later than the next full moon!

By the way, the patrol guys came through here and I volunteered to make a monthly donation last year before the patrols ended and no one ever came to collect any money. There may have been others who got skipped over as well. Maybe this can be brought up again at the next Inguat meeting?

Anyway, watch your six out there and have a great summer everyone.
Scoop
Floundering Founder

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracias, Big J.

Maybe we can find these girls some gainful and honest employment somewhere so they'll stop ripping off the boaters. (Ok, ok .. I can see you grinning and Little J ROLF).

I'll be heading across Lago Izabal today for some provisioning, etc. in Rio Dulce. Will try to see you at Vista Rio for a cuba libre .. mebbe Avian will buy me one in exchange for profound wisdom (ha!).
Avian
Feathered Troublemaker

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait! What??? I need to buy you a Cuba Libre so I can impart my wisdom upon you??????

Oh... yeah... being drunk is probably the only way anyone could tolerate my [so called] wisdom. Sad Damn, will probably have to buy you a couple of 'em.
#1 Birdbrain on the Rio!
*** Don't take life so seriously we're only stardust ***
Scoop
Floundering Founder

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrghh .. sorry, didn't make it for the wisdom exchange. Busy day provisioning for the beach, etc.

Looked for the bino chicas but didn't see any matching the description.

Confused
JBright
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another boat at Mar Marine got hit last night.....actually tied to a dock and she has two guards on patrol.....ballsy little %^&*'s
Scoop
Floundering Founder

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Those two guardians are probably looking for new jobs.

There was discussion a few months ago of marinas and boaters contributing to a private armed security patrol, instead of depending upon the support of Inguat.

Perhaps it's time to revive that discussion. Question
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBright wrote:
Another boat at Mar Marine got hit last night.....actually tied to a dock and she has two guards on patrol.....ballsy little %^&*'s

I can tell you that isn't the first theft that has occurred there.

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> THE GROUND TRUTH All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: