Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cayo quemado/tx bay la laguna crime

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> THE GROUND TRUTH
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david
Freshman River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: cayo quemado/tx bay la laguna crime Reply with quote

this area continues to be high crime..armed robberies. home invasions, attempted launch thefts..the village councels response is to have more meetings..the marina has installed some lights..however the night time security guard is permitted to sleep on watch..something not all boaters are comfortable with..the last liveaboard client left yesterday..
dongato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess maybe I might think about changing my mind about spending Semana Santa weekend anchored at Texan Bay or whatever it is called now.

I wanted to get away from the madness at Mar Marine, Nana Wana Bay and this end of the river for a few days. The jet skis and all the big Guatemalan boats make it much less tranquil here, not to mention the mega volume ranchero music blaring across the bay all day and into the night.

In the recent past it was a nice, quiet and safe place to go hang on the anchor for awhile.

Do you have any other actual reports of robberies or violence since Ed and Grace were robbed?
Mari
Freshman River Rat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! The french couple in Bahia Naranjal, Cayo Quemado were robbed at knife and gun point around Christmas before the Ed and Gracie incident. They have a guardian who has a dog and is only feet away, but the attackers were very quiet in their approach and very swift to silence the couple. They were on the boat for around 30 minutes. The thieves cut the VHF antenna before they got on and took lots of cash, a chain saw, electronics and whatever which they packed into the couples' launch before making off with it all. The launch was found abandoned across the lake. No fingerprinting that I know of. They described it as a very violent attack. She was tied and held with a knife to her throat while her husband was thrown to the floor and told to be quiet and still. It was very scary since they were separated into different areas of the boat. I also heard that the couple was hit again Tuesday AM (March 6) around 1AM, but they had installed an alarm which scared the evil people away. So yes, more evil since Ed and Gracie. It continues. I don't know what is going on out here that all this is happening, but I know if the village doesn't stop it, lots more people with leave, including myself. There seem to be very solid suspects but no action. Gringos have always been well accepted before and we are a major source of income since we hire lots of people and also we are a great source for donations both monetary and skilled labor for community projects. I love the people of Cayo Quemado, but if the evil ones are permitted to prevail, it is bad for gringos and natives as well. I hope the criminals are caught and thrown out of the village so we can all continue in peace. It is not a good life when you are scared to death of being assaulted at any time. I am glad this info is getting out of the village too. This is not something that should be covered up.
dongato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's cause Mike is not there anymore. I thought he and Sherry had pretty good relations with the locals. If nothing else he would have scared the crap out of them. Mike is a great guy but I certainly wouldn't want to tangle with him. He is built like a fire plug and tough as nails.

"fingerprinting" in Guatemala? Are you serious? I doubt the local gendarmes know what a fingerprint is, let alone being able to collect them or trace anyone with them.

I don't think they have a CSI team here.

Sounds like Texan Bay is getting dangerous. What a shame. It was such a nice place to go.

Do you think it is safe at the docks for a couple of days? I was planning on anchoring in the bay but I would pay for dock space if it is safer.

I have to get away from Mar Marina for Semana Santa.

It gets way too loud and crazy here.
trees
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem, as i see it, is the traditional manner in which the aldea deals with criminals...the entire family is evicted from the village.

in this case, the suspects are from a huge family...there are at least 30 children and their families. many of the family members are upstanding members of the community. When you have a culture that treasures family connections, challenges present themselves in a situation as we have recently experienced.

So far, the village council members have not been amenable to interrogating the suspects of their individual whereabouts at the time of the attack. they appear to prefer that the gringos arm themselves, which, of course, is illegal and carries a stiff penalty.

The leaders of the village are genuinely concerned about this issue, but, in my humble opinion, they are between a rock and a hard place.

it is sad, indeed, that the village does not yet understand that these suspects are robbing the entire village of the opportunities they have grown to appreciate.

it is important to remember that the ed and gracie incident differs from the French couple's incident at Christmas. we believe outsiders of the village, professional thieves, were involved in the Christmas attack, while the Ed and Gracie incident was most likely accomplished by locals.

We are all bracing ourselves and protecting ourselves from another potential attack around Semana Santa, when the opportunity to attack visitors and tourists is great.
dongato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks trees.........

I spoke to another longtime resident who lives nearby and they encouraged me to come down for Semana Santa as long as I take normal precautions.

At this time I believe I am going to go.
Elmer Homero Tijax
Respected River Rat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Security Issues Cayo Quemado & Rio Dulce Reply with quote

Gato & all:

Im sorry to hear Cayo Quemado is new trouble spot but Im not surprised. It follows the usual pattern where a "tropical paradise" is discovered by someone usually a future "foreign local" as they have been described on the chisme and he decides to establish a business usually a "marina/bar/restaurant" without any knowledge of the local community, Guatemalan social and economic situation, legal matters, land tenure, taxes, etc.

Everything goes well the first few years usually due to the fact that taxes are not payed, salaries do not include all the legal bonuses and social security, land was cheap, and hence the new business gets a start with a competitive edge. The new "marina" is full the bar is cranking out the booze and everyone is happy until the "SECURITY" issue rears its ugly head.

The fact is that communities that have been left alone for centuries and are rather small and mostly clanish are now faced with a whole new set of problems and scenarios.. -anyone here that has a boat and can spend his time drinking at a bar is considered "rich" as most of these communities were at subsistence levels as far as their home economies goes. Thus the "rich" gringoes flaunt their affluence right in the face of a bunch rof basically starving, uneducated people. I personally think that most of these communities are pretty healthy considering what happens in their front yards. Names are changed: "Gringo Bay" or "Texan Bay" and new "Bosses" appear as the biggest employer and mover will become the most influential person in the village. Values and ethics are shaken, drug use and prostitution ensue, land speculation and money in amounts never before seen or heard of become public knowledge.

Eventually someone will flip and in the face of this external opportunism and rather decadent lifestlyles will start robbing and or assaulting tourists. Unfortunately this social degradation goes on for some time before it reaches a critical threshold and by then it will be too late. Often the persons most affected are innocent passer byes or people that ignore the background of how things got that way.

In the Rio Dulce Fronteras area we tried to do "something" about security for years and it wasnt till the Dryden couple was attacked and Mr. Dryden Murdered that the hotels and marinas decide to start the Navy Patrol. This has been quite successful as a preventive strategy but still the background social-economical scenario persists although here a lot more people depend on tourism and actually have jobs from it.

Unfortunately the Navy Patrol does not solve the problems inherent to the whole country and neither is widely supported by all the marinas. In fact Major marinas which are usually full stand by laughing as they "save" themselves the $400 we contribute monthly while benefiting from the program as it covers the entire area indiscriminately. This later attitude of I dont give a FF about others problems is what got us here in the first place. Building a sane relation with the community that host our business
is also a necessity and a lot of these opportunistic entrepreneurs could care less about their communities and know very little about them.

This became a rather long epistle about this subject but I just want to add that there are very decent people in Cayo Quemado and "foreign locals" that do know their community and have invested & interacted with them over the years and perhaps you should ask them ( Im thinking of Jennifer) as to the real situation in that community.
dongato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there are very decent people in Cayo Quemado and "foreign locals" that do know their community and have invested & interacted with them over the years and perhaps you should ask them ( Im thinking of Jennifer) as to the real situation in that community.

I didn't want to mention names but that is who I trusted to ask. I am still planning on going to 'Gringo' or 'Texan' bay,' maybe for a week. Based on her advice and yours Eugenio.
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugene,

Excellent analysis, thanks for saying that.
satya
Freshman River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: peaceful la lauguna marina.... Reply with quote

i am down here at la lauguna and still find it the most peaceful place around! the nature a strong force and the locals warm laughing people. i guess anything can happen anywhere but i feel safer here then most places, none of the crimes happened at the marina anyhow, plus we got sandy cooking on the weekends so its even gone a little gourmet!
encor
Superb Senora Rio Cronista

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

satya, thanks for this info, current truths are much appreciated.
dongato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you for posting that good info satya. I am definitely still planning on going down for a week during Semana Santa. I have always found it to be a beautiful tranquil location and have never had any problems there.

Thanks again Eugenio for your excellent analysis of the situation.

Sorry I missed you Saturday at 12:30. I intended to come to Tijax, but I got tied up cooking my steak from Pana Meats and time got away from me. When I looked at my phone it was 12:39 and I didn't want to face the wrath of George for being late.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> THE GROUND TRUTH All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: