Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any further details of s/v Liberty being robbed last night?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> THE GROUND TRUTH
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Any further details of s/v Liberty being robbed last night? Reply with quote

I got a phone call around 12:30AM from our marina manager saying the catamaran Liberty was robbed at gunpoint by two robbers last night (Sat Aug 13) in/around Suzannas about 11PM. Apparently a guardian was overcome/tied up and the boat was ransacked for money & valuables.

I heard this morning from the boater that responded to the initial Mayday on the VHF that two policemen eventually responded but he was unable to raise the river patrol.

Just confirming no one was injured in the attack. Haven't run into anyone since that knows anything beyond the above.

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know much but here is what I do know.

The location was the residence of an Italian gentleman that I am told is the Italian ambassador to El Salvador. It is located in the far Northeast corner of Suzanna's Laguna where there's a dock that has three catamarans.

The residence and docks have land access and it is believed that the robbers entered the property by land. The marine patrol was contacted by Monkey Bay John (a boater at Monkey Bay also heard the May Day call) but since there is land access it is probable that the national police did the investigation.

None of the marinas or residences within Suzanna's Laguna participate in the security patrol program.
Avian
Feathered Troublemaker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guardian and the boat owners were bound, but no one was injured. However, it appears that the home owners dog was killed.

It seems the robbers had not expected the boat owners to be there, as they had been away and had just returned earlier in the evening.

I have talked several times with the owners. They are doing fine. Police, Navy, and INGUAT have interviewed them.

Just a note: according to the boat owner, there were 3 persons involved in the robbery.
Avian
Feathered Troublemaker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that during the net this morning, it was announced how a couple of the marinas responded to the mayday call. They may have called the police or navy... I will not argue as I was not with them, though they deserve our thanks for trying to get a hold of the authorities.

However, the only person that physically responded to the incident was Vinicio from Isla Xalaja. He deserves our heart-felt thanks for bravely stepping into a possibly dangerous situation.
inshallamiami
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that there aren't more postings on this. Is it that people don't feel the need to talk about it in a public forum? Or are there not many people interested in the general topic, ie crime in Rio Dulce?
TaniaJane
Super Senior Barstool Reader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can only speak for me.....but wasnt aware of it until read it here this morning
inshallamiami
Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taniajane, thank you for your answer. I loved the rio when I was there, I guess I am over focused on safety lately and I'm not sure if it's because it IS more dangerous or if it's because we have this instant access to bad news with the net.

Maybe I should sail more and surf the net less Embarassed
Avian
Feathered Troublemaker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me, I have been in contact with the boat owners and talked with them quite a bit.
However, I am not a journalist, reporter, or detective... so I will not disseminate any info, other than clarification of facts that I know (although I might screw that up too). Nor will I speculate on anything that *may* have have occurred, or that was purported ed by others.

In other words, with past experience with the forums, I think a lot of people are just sitting back and waiting to hear from the proper source, rather than jumping in to the forum with hearsay, etc.
Scoop
Floundering Founder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just returned from Amatique Bay yesterday afternoon (no internet for 4 days).

Will try to get more info on this.

It certainly doesn't sound like the usual petty theft mode of robbery .. these guys were apparently seriously looking for dive tanks, etc., knew where the tanks were and knew when the owners weren't going to be around -- and happened to get caught in the act when the boaters on s/v Liberty returned unexpectedly.
Lorelei79
Super Senior Flying Squirrel Butt

Location: Keeping a count of my nuts for the cold season. Oh. Wait. Lady Squirrels don't HAVE nuts!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though we love the area and the locals, will be hard-pressed to return if all this crap doesn't settle down! We're not much better here in the U.S., but yikes - they slit my pup's throat, they got a world of hurt coming down!!!!

Just saying...
XIsle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, SB, it's your own throat you might want to be concerned about, not your pup's. Think Dan & Nancy Dryden, slightly before your time there. Life is cheap in Guate, in Central America. I personally left over these security issues after 5 years. just Google "security/crime/murder rate in Guatemala" and have a look. Highest murder rate! Now we'll hopefully hear the results of a diplomat with diplomatic passport being bound and robbed. Don't expect much. They don't solve crimes in Guatemala.
Just saying......

X
searching 4 paradise
Scaredy-cat River Rat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Safety in Guatemala Reply with quote

Yep, XIle, we left too and don't plan to return. Two years was enough for us to get the message. Take our life so they can steal our stuff? No problem. Not all of the people are like that but there are enough for us to look elsewhere to cruise. That is too bad since the Rio is a beautiful place to visit but not secure enough for us to stay. Dan and Nancy was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> THE GROUND TRUTH All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: