Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator
riodulcechisme.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch      UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Belize Check in and Checking out charges 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Travel to Belize
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rule Britannia
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Belize Check in and Checking out charges 2010 Reply with quote

BELIZE CHECK IN/OUT FEES 2010

We checked in and out of Belize twice this year and the charges we incurred each time are as follows

Customs 0.00BZ

BAHA 20.00BZ (we have no Pets)

Immigration
* Check in boarding fee 50.00BZ
* Check out boarding fee 50.00BZ
Visa extension per Month 50.00BZ ( Per person -1st month free)
Environment tax – per person 7.50BZ

* The immigration boarding fees are new to us this year, apparently always been in place but not enforced before. They did not board the vessel.

Belize Ports Authority
Varies - depending on where you see below

BELIZE PORTS AUTHORITY (BPA) 2010

We decided to contact the head of the BPA Mr John Flowers to try and get clarity on the charging.

Below is the email we sent to Mr Flowers

To John Flowers Belize Port Authority

Subject Belize Port Authority Check In/Check out fees for pleasure craft

Dear Mr Flowers

We am trying, on behalf of the many cruising boats in the NW Caribbean, to get clarity on what the costs are of Checking into and out of Belize. The biggest single cost appears to be the Belize Port Authority and it appears to be a moving target. Different boats pay different fees with no clear explanation on why.

In order to defuse the rumours based on incomplete information, we should be very grateful if you would kindly let us know :-

1. The definitive fees that Belize Ports Authority charge for a pleasure boat?
2. When the fees are due (on exit?)
3. Are the fees the same at every Port of entry?
4. What are the charges for?
5. The correct paperwork and receipts that should be issued
6. The complaints procedure in the case of disputes

If this above information can be found on a web site, please advise us of the link.

There have also been some discrepancies with “new/varying” fees charged by the Immigration and BAHA organisations.

If you have any contacts with these organisations. We would be grateful if you could provide us with email contacts so that we can follow these with them as well

We would really appreciate your input so that we can allay the fears of many ill-informed cruisers.

Yours

John and Sheila
S/V Triumphant

Below is the reply Mr Flowers emailed to us

(He also sent copies of the various acts of Parliament that govern the BPA. I have not included these but can supply on request if anyone is interested. These are the annex’s he refers to at the beginning of his letter. The acts of Parliament are dated 2003 and in one case 2004 so there are no “new” laws in force, what we are seeing enforcement of existing laws.)

Dear Mr. Quillam:

RE: BELIZE PORT AUTHORITY ACT, SECTION III, Chapter 233, REVISED EDITION 2003

The Authority is quite please to provide answers to your queries in regards to “Marine Dues”. All official Tariff Charges are in compliance with the above reference. Should there be any further clarification – please contact us.

Compulsory Pilotage
– the territorial waters of Belize shall be compulsory Pilotage Waters:
- See Annex A.

Legal Interpretation
–“Ship” means and includes every description of vessel, boat or other craft used in Navigation, including all vessels particularly referred to in Part III
– See Annex B.

Marine Dues
Payments on Arrival (Each vessel/Cruisers/Pleasure Craft etc shall be paid to the Authority.
- See Annex C.

Statutory –Fees:

1. Pilotage
Use of a Marine Pilot or a waiver. Should a waiver be given to any foreign vessel, a small fee is payable to the Authority.

A waiver is usually given on the condition that the Master’s is comfortable navigating safely within Belizean waters (Granted only by the Ports Commissioner).

2. Arrival Boarding ($30.00 BZD for small vessels).

3. Navigation Aids – ($1.50 BZD per GRT of vessel)

4. Port Dues – (Charges are on GRT per vessel and length of stay)

5. Departure Clearance of Ship (Charges are on GRT per vessel same as arrival).

Scenario: “Example of Charge that are Authorized by the Regulations”

“Let’s say a Cruiser plans to arrive in Belize waters on July 10, and plans to leave the country on July 20, 2010.

This shall be communicated to the Belize Port Authority, via VHF Channel 16; with all particulars of the vessel.

The Master will further request approval for a Waiver of Pilot – should the Master feel comfortable to safely bring his vessel into harbor or arrange for a Marine Pilot to meet vessel at Pilot Station etc.

Should approval be given by the Belize Port Authority the Master will need to communicate his transit into harbor and also his arrival with anchorage position, if this was not given by the Authority.

Again, once the Master has anchored, he will request the normal arrival formalities for boarding – which includes Immigration, Customs, the Authority and others agencies.

After, the boarding is completed and all is satisfactory – the vessel will be free to travel around local waters for the duration of the stay providing that the Master is comfortable doing so and has received approval from the Port Authority.”

N.B
All foreign vessels shall have an official Shipping Agent representation in Belize.

Should a vessel has no representation by way of an agent – the Master shall communicate directly with the Belize Port Authority via VHF channel 16 for all instructions once in Pilotage waters.

Format for Charges:

Vessel Information –
Fees are computed using length, draught, and registered tonnage for each particular vessel.

Example:
Name of Vessel: MV LADY BIRD
Length: 38 feet
Draft: 3.5 feet
GRT: 36

CHARGES:

Draught $3.5X $4.50 36 Tonnage $15.75
Registered GRT $64.00
Sub Total ($79.75)
( Multiply by 2 for inward and outbound) $159.50

Arrival Boarding $30.00
Navigation Aids Fee $1.50 X 36 Tonnage $54.00
Port Dues (stay of vessel in Belizean waters) –July 10-20, 2010 11 days
First 48 hours (2) days $30.00
Additional days Stay
(9days @$10.00 per day) $90.00

Departure Clearance Fee $30.00

Total: $393.50 BZD

*Total payment for “LADY BIRD” to visit Belize between the periods July 10-20, 2010 is $393.50 BZD or $196.75 USD – paid to the Authority, for eleven (11) days stay in Belizean waters.

Answers to your Questions:

The definitive fees that Belize Ports Authority charge for a pleasure boat?
Ans: Charge is levied in accordance with length, draught, tonnage and length of stay in days.

When the fees are due (on exit?)
Ans: Preferably after arrival boarding.

Are the fees the same at every Port of entry?
Ans: Fees shall be the same for all ports in Belize.

What are the charges for?
Ans: The charges are Statutory Charges.

The correct paperwork and receipts that should be issued?
Ans: Master shall be given an official receipt from the Belize Port Authority for all transactions.

The complaints procedure in the case of disputes?
Ans: All queries, complaints and suggestions should be forwarded to the Ports Commissioner at the Authority email address: bzportauth@btl.net

We hope that the above answers your queries, but please feel free to contact us on any other related maritime issues.

Kind Regards,

Major (Ret’d) JMA Flowers
Ports Commissioner
elpolvo
web foote

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi john-

excellent post! very useful information.

i'm saving a bookmark to this in my belize info folder.

thanks.

-dusty

ps- hi to sheila
Celtic Dancer
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep thanks for posting this information and to me looks like I will not be travelling to Belize soon at $393.50 BZD or $196.75 USD for 11 days.

Crazy price but at least they had the manners to inform us of the correct price.
avinsa
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my question is: do the officials you deal with know the tariffs?
who has been in belize in 2010 and other tariffs have been charged?
what about the waiver when you cannot contact the harbour master?
saludos Marco
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is some of you might not mind being taken to the bank or just have gobs of money to burn but it'll be a cold day in hell before I sail Belize again.
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I see here is you have asked for an official answer and that's what you got.

Every country requires pilotage on all foreign vessels. Some exempt vessels under a certain size (the US exempts vessels under 75 gross tons) and in some cases you can get a waiver but the law is still on the books if they wish to enforce it. Because of the nature of the Belize waters I can understand why Belize would not give a blanket exemption to smaller vessels. A recent vessel grounding comes to mind.

Every port has port fees. Again, some countries have exemptions and the criteria for that exemption may vary.

Many countries have immigration fees. The US charges $6.00 for a foreign national to obtain an I95 which is issued when a foreign national enters the country. This is separate from the visa that may be required which costs considerably more. If you are traveling by air the fee for the I95 is usually included in the airfare.

Nothing new on any of this.

Where people have been getting confused in Belize is that some ports impose some of the fees and others don't.

If you enter at Punta Gorda or maybe San Pedro you may not be asked to pay the port fee because they don't have a port for large ships and therefore are not set up to collect that fee. If you enter at Big Creek or Belize City you may be required to pay it.

I know one person that was fined because they did not call for a pilot when entering at Belize City.

The rules and regulations of various countries are published and available to those who might want to know before they go but are often difficult to find. This is why there are ships agents to make sure that you know what the rules are before you enter a foreign country. When a large ship is traveling to a foreign country, the agent in that country is contacted long before arrival to set up with the officials, secure berth space, and advise the master of the local regulations.

I realize that the cruising community considers themselves apart from the commercial shipping industry but the reality is that many foreign countries do not distinguish a difference. At least not officially on the law books.

In reality, $200 US is not all that much in the whole scheme of things. It's a little more than you might pay for a nights stay at a nice hotel in Belize. It's less than you might pay for a nights stay at a Belize resort. In the example given above for a 10 day stay, it averages $20 per day.

Someone I met recently had an interesting comment about sail boaters. He used to own a marine repair facility and he refused to do work on sailboats. His reason he said: "sailboaters believe the wind is free and everything else should be". Consider how it must appear to officials in foreign countries when you arrive in your $100,000 boat and complain about pay a couple hundred dollars. Wink
elpolvo
web foote

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windy man-

very good post and perspective!

it's really nice to know the rules and the reasoning behind them.
(how else can you skirt them... or raise a fuss if you're being
gouged by an official?)

you are hereby authorized to submit your own personal super-title.
(pending staph vote and receipt of your "agent" fees for securing the
early promotion.) Laughing Laughing
de los semillas nuevos sueños mágicos para el día siguiente
Celtic Dancer
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fretless yeha now you made the 50th post senior rat haha
Informative post Windy dancer thanks but still to me when u say "In reality, $200 US is not all that much in the whole scheme of things." To me I feel it is too much for not a lot.
For example I have over 90,000 miles sailed so far and a heap of ports and places I have checked in and out of and this rates as one of the highest. Why is it that it looks like the most expensive place to have a few days in. That few hundred USD is only for the paper chase stuff and no anchoring fees or marinas are in the price. I pay 170 USD here at the marina and am happy doing it. Naw I say heading north a lot of people are going to sail offshore and bypass and then check into a marina in a different country and have 200 USD well spent.
elpolvo
web foote

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think what rulebrit and windy are giving us is the
MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price)...

your mileage may vary.
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elpolvo wrote:
i think what rulebrit and windy are giving us is the
MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price)...

your mileage may vary.

Exactly Laughing Laughing
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What many of you are failing to realize is that the country of Belize as a CONVENIENCE is providing offices, staffed with personnel, solely for the purpose of assisting arriving and departing boaters.

Think about it, what other purpose is there for an immigration office or customs office in Big Creek, Punta Gorda, Belize City or San Pedro? There are no highways or even roads leading to another country. The only purpose for those offices is to provide services to you the boater or the occasional commercial ship that comes to Big Creek or Belize City.

Believe it or not, those offices cost money to operate. Personnel have to be paid, equipment has to be purchased, office space has to be purchased or leased. Why should Belize or any other country shoulder all the cost for a bunch of cruisers that don't spend any money anyway?

Most of you don't realize that you are paying the fees that you complain about every time you cross a border. In most cases you are traveling on a public conveyance and the fees are being paid by the company that operates that conveyance and they pass the cost to you in the price of the ticket.

I agree, Belize is more expensive than some other places but sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good if you want to go there.

BTW, to check in and out of Guatemala is about $200 USD ($100 to check in, $100 to check out). Pretty much the same price.
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy Dancer wrote:
What I see here is you have asked for an official answer and that's what you got.

Exactly. Ask a bureaucrat sitting in some office to publicly state official policy and all you are going to get is the party line.

snip a lot of blah blah blah

Windy Dancer wrote:
Where people have been getting confused in Belize is that some ports impose some of the fees and others don't.

If you enter at Punta Gorda or maybe San Pedro you may not be asked to pay the port fee because they don't have a port for large ships and therefore are not set up to collect that fee. If you enter at Big Creek or Belize City you may be required to pay it.

I may not be asked to pay it? I may be asked to pay it? Which is it?

(more blah blah blah)

Windy Dancer wrote:

In reality, $200 US is not all that much in the whole scheme of things. It's a little more than you might pay for a nights stay at a nice hotel in Belize. It's less than you might pay for a nights stay at a Belize resort. In the example given above for a 10 day stay, it averages $20 per day.

I think $20/day simply to be permitted to cruise the waters is outrageous.

Let's compare: It costs me a tad over a dollar/day to cruise Guatemalan waters (Q1500 for 12 mo boat visa + Q1200 for passport annually). For a new '90 day' arrival it's $2 and change/day. It could be cheaper if not paying an agent to work the papers. Honduras? Virtually zip for 3 months.

So Belize for $20 a DAY? And that's not even counting the 'Marine Reserve' anchoring fees that appear to be propagating everywhere in Belize. Drop your hook pretty much anywhere anymore and you can expect to pay anything from $5 to $50 a day per person more. Well, except for Placencia. Probably because I cannot for the life of me see what is 'attractive' about Placencia either.

I have no issue with Belize charging to protect their waters at all. It's the fact (according to the last Belize officials I spoke with) that those protecting these Marine Reserves never see a dime of the $$$.

Windy Dancer wrote:
Someone I met recently had an interesting comment about sail boaters. He used to own a marine repair facility and he refused to do work on sailboats. His reason he said: "sailboaters believe the wind is free and everything else should be". Consider how it must appear to officials in foreign countries when you arrive in your $100,000 boat and complain about pay a couple hundred dollars. :wink:

Frankly, I think that was a pretty short sighted, if not prejudiced view by that person. No wonder he used to own a marine repair facility. What is Captain Johns Marine Repair Service's view on the subject?

I hear 'cruisers are cheap' all the time. I call bullshit. Sure, there are plenty of cruisers with a finite 'cruising kitty' or fixed income that have to be frugal. Is it being cheap to not want to pay Q50 for a hamburger when virtually next door the same hamburger is Q35? Is it being cheap to not want to pay a premium for goods/services that are not in truth premium? That's not being cheap, that's just being sensible.

OTOH, there are hundreds of sailboats on this river paying 2X the going rate for dockage around here because... well, I'm not sure why but there you go.

People are only going to pay the amount they feel the value of goods/services they receive is worth. Or less, if possible. If they pay more than their perceived value it's because they either have more money than sense or they are forced to because they have no choice.

I don't care how it 'appears' to officials. I may have paid $100,000 for my boat (not really :) but that is because I felt the value equaled or exceeded the price. That doesn't mean I think $20 a day (depending on where you check in) plus some arbitrary 'Marine Reserve Fee' is good value for my money.

For $200 I'd expect someone to come in and clean up, make my bed like the hotel you are comparing it to.

Last edited by Fretless on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Fretless
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy Dancer wrote:

Why should Belize or any other country shoulder all the cost for a bunch of cruisers that don't spend any money anyway?

There you go stereotyping again. Almost by definition if a cruiser goes to Belize he/she will spend money. In my experience, Lots.

Windy Dancer wrote:

BTW, to check in and out of Guatemala is about $200 USD ($100 to check in, $100 to check out). Pretty much the same price.

Not hardly. If comparing to Belize it would be $1800 to check in/out of Guatemala (i.e. 10 days vs 90 days).

But that might be an unfair comparison because in reality you just don't know what you're going to be charged to check in/out of Belize. But according to official policy we now know what is clearly possible.

Last edited by Fretless on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Captain John
Super Windy Senior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So Belize for $20 a DAY?

That was the amortization for the 10 days given in the example. If you were to stay the entire 30 days it would work out to $6.67 per day.

Yes there are other fees. That's the way Belize has chosen to do things.

Quote:
I may not be asked to pay it? I may be asked to pay it? Which is it?

As I said, depending on where you go they may cut you a break and not charge some of the fees that by law they could charge. As El polvo said, the list at the top of the thread was the MSRP, your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Windy Dancer wrote:
Someone I met recently had an interesting comment about sail boaters. He used to own a marine repair facility and he refused to do work on sailboats. His reason he said: "sailboaters believe the wind is free and everything else should be". Consider how it must appear to officials in foreign countries when you arrive in your $100,000 boat and complain about pay a couple hundred dollars. Wink

Frankly, I think that was a pretty short sighted, if not prejudiced view by that person. No wonder he used to own a marine repair facility. What is Captain Johns Marine Repair Service's view on the subject?

He was in Fort Lauderdale where there is no shortage of other customers Very Happy I put that out to help people understand how others sometimes view cruising sail boaters. I am, or at least was a sailing cruiser (hope to be able to get out there again someday) and know that things can be different depending on where you go.

Captain John's Marine Service works on any kind of boat and we do the best job possible for the best reasonable price. Very Happy Very Happy

You always have the option of not going to Belize but that means you may miss some very beautiful cruising grounds.
Rule Britannia
Super Senior River Rat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Windy Dancer and El Polvo have hit the nail on the head with their comments. Mr Flowers is a civil servant and is quoting the law.

However the bottom line as it stands at the moment is

If you stay in Belize for 3 months AND you get charged the full fees, the BPA portion of the total costs would 78% of the total charges

Belize charges are 360% higher than Guatemala for a 3 month stay

Maybe Cliff at the meeting at Mario’s tomorrow with his contacts with the Belize Tourist board can move this forward as Belize will be losing the Tourist dollar if the cruisers do not go there

We sent 2 further e-mails to Mr Flowers, unfortunately neither one was acknowledged or answered (see below)

13th July 2010

Dear Mr Flowers

Thank you for your comprehensive response to my queries on BPA charges. It is a lot to digest in one go.

Our pleasure boat is 40 foot long, draft of 4 feet and a GRT of 13.01.Based on the information provided, if we wanted to stay in Belize for our usual 3 months, the BPA costs will be prohibitive so we will have to look at other countries to visit

I hope we have the opportunity to meet face to face in the future.

John Quilliam

20th July 2010

Dear Mr Flowers

Further to our previous email to you of 13th July 2010, having not received a response from you, we are wondering if there is any way we could move this matter forward with a hope to benefitting both the tourist cruisers and the tourist industry of Belize.

It appears that private pleasure craft coming to Belize are treated the same as commercial ships for charging purposes by the BPA.

The profile of a visiting pleasure craft visiting a foreign country is totally different to that of a commercial ship. We (cruisers) want to stay and enjoy the country and, of course, spend the tourist dollar diving, touring the countryside, snorkelling, eating at restaurants and bar as well as buying provisions

Is there a liaison office that mediates between the BPA and the Ministry of Tourism who suggests guidelines of what tourist cruisers actually pay to the BPA officers at the various ports of entry?

The reason for asking this is that for the past two years there has been a standard charge levied for cruisers of $90 BZ on leaving the various ports of entry, and no charge on entry.

The reason for our initial enquiry to you was that one cruising boat, on leaving Belize at Punta Gorda, earlier this year, was charged $1,000 BZ by BPA for a period of 18 days and was taken totally by surprise.

Word immediately got out via the Single Side Band (SSB) long range net (covering an area from the Southern USA, Mexico down to south of Honduras and Panama) and this set alarms ringing.

We know for a fact that 10 Cruising boats in the Honduras Bay Islands decided not to come to Lobster fest in Placencia this year as a result and other have decided not to come/return to Belize until they are reassured of the level of BPA charges.Are there any plans to review the charging rules for pleasure craft?

If this is not within your remit, please can you provide us with the details of the person/body to whom we should address our query.

We spend the hurricane season in Rio Dulce, Guatemala together with approximately 2,000 other cruising boats. At the end of the season, around about Christmas, many of the cruisers decide whether to go to the Bay Islands of Honduras or to Belize to spend the winter/spring seasons.

We will be returning to Rio Dulce shortly and we have been asked to supply whatever information we have managed to glean from the BPA with regards to their charges.

We are loathe to just pass on your email with its attachments since it will result in Belize being ‘blacklisted’ by the cruisers as a whole.

It should be noted that Guatemala, Mexico and Honduras entry and exit charges are substantially less (for example Guatemala charges are 300% less than Belize)

Please may we ask you to seriously consider this matter and, if necessary, point us in the right direction.

We love Belize, we have made many friends here (mainly in the shops, restaurants and bars), we spend as much time here as we are able.

John & Sheila Quilliam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator Forum Index -> Travel to Belize All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: